Saturday, January 10, 2015

Strength in Numbers

So, I finally finished another spread in my altered book journal. I wanted to experiment with colors that I am not normally drawn to and use some techniques that aren't in my normal arty realm. I had a difficult time after I had my initial background complete. It seemed so busy and everything I thought to put on top of it looked like it was getting lost on top of all that color. After a lot of consideration (and just plain staring at the pages), I decided to add the figures and using the number stencils and the face stencil inside of them. Still needing the figures to pop a little bit more, I added white around them along with some outlining in black. I did try to outline in blue and purple as well, but didn't like how that looked. You can still see that experiment on the figure on the bottom left. Adding some drywall tape and wash tape completed the graffiti style I wanted to achieve in this spread. The phrase, "the gang's all here" popped into focus and then my daughter said that "strength in numbers" was a perfect fit for this spread. Which it really was perfect because of the numbers that were stenciled in the figures. I had to add that somewhere and those words found a home at the bottom of the page. 





4 comments:

  1. I think it came together in a really cool and interesting way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dana :) And thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. This is great!!! Art is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kara Beth :) Yes, I love art and doing my best to make some art too lol :D

      Delete